Sleep Deprivation (2020)
An album of contra dance style music for listening and dancing
We had a wild idea that we’d like to record an album of dance music that we could sell at ceilidhs and so the idea of this contra dance music album was born. We had a few ideas that we wanted to put into place.
All gigging musicians will be familiar with the long drive home after a gig, those hours driving through the darkness, avoiding the closed roads, stopping at service stations to buy coffee to stay awake. This album is for all of us trying to stay awake on this same road – Sleep Deprivation.
This is an album of contra speed dance music all written and arranged by Jonny. There are jigs, reels, a waltz and what is fast becoming a tradition; the final chapelloise dance. Inspiration has been pulled from a wide variety of places – enough to keep the lone driver awake on the long drive home.
Whilst it has 10 tracks, it It has been designed as one long continuous track, so for this reason turn off random play and make sure your player is set not to have any gaps in-between each track.
If you’d like a preview of some of the music have a listen to the teaching videos below. Hidden in each video is a short extract from the album itself! If you’d like to play the music you can download the pdf of the dots!
Available on Digital Release:
Sleep Deprivation Print Materials
|Cover Artwork 300DPI||One-Sheet_PDF||CD Booklet||Tunes Book|
Want to learn the tunes? This is a good place to start! To download all the dots in one pdf
- Marvelous Meg (32 bar reel)
- Rocking Roquefort (32 bar reel)
- Darkside (32 bar reel)
- Anastasia (48 bar jig)
- Lightening the Load (32 bar reel)
- St Albans (32 bar reel)
- Contrarello (16 bar march)
- Controtto (32 bar jig)
- Contrapasso (32 bar reel)
- Caucasia Contra (32 bar reel)
- Jiggle the Old Bones – (48 bar reel)
- Waltz for Shari (64 bar waltz)
- The Kindness of Thwaite (64 bar waltz)
- Sleep Deprivation (32 bar reel)
- Double Shot Coffee (16 bar jig)
- Diversion Ahead(16 bar jig)
- Don’t Drive Tired (16 bar jig)
- Folk Wales by Mick Terms – 5***** review!
- Folk Radio by David Kidman – editor’s pick
- Mardles by Val Haines
- Folk World (Alex Monaghan)
- Forest Folk, ForestFM 92.3 with Peter Aston (Featured Album)
- Deal Radio with Neil Vessey (album of the week)
- The Folk and Blues Show with Richard Harris (album of the week)
- BBC Radio Gloucestershire, with Johnny Coppin
- Acoustic Routes on DapperFm with David Chamberlain
- From Albion and Beyond, KUAR FM with Len Holton
- Camfolk with Miffem
- Folk & Acoustic Folk Show with Alex Cumming
- Folk at Five with Trevox
- Podwireless with Ian Anderson
- Thank Goodness it’s Folk with James Fagan and Sam Hindley
- Liz Franklin’s Garden Folk
- FAB Folk and Blues with Tony Haynes
- Roots and Shoots, Felixstowe Radio with Roger Pettit
- BCB Radio with Rob Martin